SECOND AMENDED AND RESTATED
CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION OF
CYPRESS BIOSCIENCE, INC.
Cypress Bioscience, Inc., a corporation organized and
existing under and by virtue of the General Corporation Law of the State of
name of this corporation is Cypress Bioscience, Inc. and the date of filing the
original Certificate of Incorporation of this corporation with the Secretary of
State of the State of
to Sections 242 and 245 of the General Corporation Law of the State of
THREE: The Existing Certificate of Incorporation of this corporation is hereby amended and restated to read as follows:
The name of this corporation is Cypress Bioscience, Inc. (the “Corporation”).
The address of the registered office of the
Corporation in the State of
The purpose of this Corporation is to engage in any lawful act or activity for which a corporation may be organized under the Delaware General Corporation Law (“DGCL”).
A. This Corporation is authorized to issue two classes of stock to be designated, respectively, “Common Stock” and “Preferred Stock.” The total number of shares which the Corporation is authorized to issue is 75,000,000 shares. 60,000,000 shares shall be Common Stock, each having a par value of $.001. 15,000,000 shares shall be Preferred Stock, each having a par value of $.001.
B. The Preferred Stock may be issued from time to time in one or more series. The Board of Directors is hereby expressly authorized to provide for the issue of all or any of the shares of the Preferred Stock in one or more series, and to fix the number of shares and to determine or alter for each such series, such voting powers, full or limited, or no voting powers, and such designation, preferences, and relative, participating, optional, or
other rights and such qualifications, limitations, or restrictions thereof, as shall be stated and expressed in the resolution or resolutions adopted by the Board of Directors providing for the issuance of such shares and as may be permitted by the DGCL. The Board of Directors is also expressly authorized to increase or decrease the number of shares of any series subsequent to the issuance of shares of that series, but not below the number of shares of such series then outstanding. In case the number of shares of any series shall be decreased in accordance with the foregoing sentence, the shares constituting such decrease shall resume the status that they had prior to the adoption of the resolution originally fixing the number of shares of such series. The number of authorized shares of Preferred Stock may be increased or decreased (but not below the number of shares thereof then outstanding) by the affirmative vote of the holders of a majority of the Common Stock, without a vote of the holders of the Preferred Stock, or of any series thereof, unless a vote of any such holders is required pursuant to the terms of any certificate of designation filed with respect to any series of Preferred Stock.
C. Each outstanding share of Common Stock shall entitle the holder thereof to one vote on each matter properly submitted to the stockholders of the Corporation for their vote; provided, however, that, except as otherwise required by law, holders of Common Stock shall not be entitled to vote on any amendment to this Certificate of Incorporation (including any certificate of designation filed with respect to any series of Preferred Stock) that relates solely to the terms of one or more outstanding series of Preferred Stock if the holders of such affected series of Preferred Stock are entitled, either separately or together as a class with the holders of one or more other such series, to vote thereon by law or pursuant to this Certificate of Incorporation (including any certificate of designation filed with respect to any series of Preferred Stock).
For the management of the business and for the conduct of the affairs of the Corporation, and in further definition, limitation and regulation of the powers of the Corporation, of its directors and of its stockholders or any class thereof, as the case may be, it is further provided that:
1. The management of the business and the conduct of the affairs of the Corporation shall be vested in its Board of Directors. The number of directors which shall constitute the Board of Directors shall be fixed exclusively by resolutions adopted by a majority of the authorized number of directors constituting the Board of Directors.
2. Subject to the rights of the holders of any series of Preferred Stock to elect additional directors under specified circumstances, the directors shall be divided into three classes designated as Class I, Class II and Class III, respectively. Each director shall serve as a member of the class to which he or she was elected pursuant to the Existing Certificate of Incorporation unless membership in the classes is reclassified. The term of directors in each class shall be three years. The terms of each of the three classes shall be staggered so that the election of directors in only one class occurs in any given year. At each annual meeting of stockholders, directors shall be elected for a full term of three years to succeed the directors of the class whose terms expire at such annual meeting.
Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, each director shall serve until his successor is duly elected and qualified or until his death, resignation or removal. No decrease in the number of directors constituting the Board of Directors shall shorten the term of any incumbent director.
a. During such time or times that the Corporation is subject to Section 2115(b) of the California General Corporation Law (the “CGCL”), the Board of Directors or any individual director may be removed from office at any time without cause by the affirmative vote of the holders of at least a
majority of the outstanding shares entitled to vote on such removal; provided, however, that unless the entire Board is removed, no individual director may be removed when the votes cast against such director’s removal, or not consenting in writing to such removal, would be sufficient to elect that director if voted cumulatively at an election which the same total number of votes were cast (or, if such action is taken by written consent, all shares entitled to vote were voted) and the entire number of directors authorized at the time of such director’s most recent election were then being elected.
b. At any time or times that the Corporation is not subject to Section 2115(b) of the CGCL and subject to any limitations imposed by law, Section A. 3. a. above shall no longer apply and removal shall be as provided in Section 141(k) of the DGCL.
4. Subject to the rights of the holders of any series of Preferred Stock, any vacancies on the Board of Directors resulting from death, resignation, disqualification, removal or other causes and any newly created directorships resulting from any increase in the number of directors, shall, unless the Board of Directors determines by resolution that any such vacancies or newly created directorships shall be filled by the stockholders, except as otherwise provided by law, be filled only by the affirmative vote of a majority of the directors then in office, even though less than a quorum of the Board of Directors, and not by the stockholders. Any director elected in accordance with the preceding sentence shall hold office for the remainder of the full term of the director for which the vacancy was created or occurred and until such director’s successor shall have been elected and qualified.
1. The Board of Directors is expressly empowered to adopt, amend or repeal the Bylaws of the Corporation. Any adoption, amendment or repeal of the Bylaws of the Corporation by the Board of Directors shall require the approval of a majority of the authorized number of directors constituting the Board of Directors. The stockholders shall also have power to adopt, amend or repeal the Bylaws of the Corporation; provided, however, that, in addition to any vote of the holders of any class or series of stock of the Corporation required by law or by this Certificate of Incorporation, the affirmative vote of the holders of at least 66 2/3% of the voting power of all of the then-outstanding shares of the capital stock of the Corporation entitled to vote generally in the election of directors, voting together as a single class, shall be required to adopt, amend or repeal any provision of the Bylaws of the Corporation.
2. The directors of the Corporation need not be elected by written ballot unless the Bylaws so provide.
3. No action shall be taken by the stockholders of the Corporation except at an annual or special meeting of stockholders called in accordance with the Bylaws.
4. Advance notice of stockholder nominations for the election of directors and of business to be brought by stockholders before any meeting of the stockholders of the Corporation shall be given in the manner provided in the Bylaws of the Corporation.
A. The liability of the directors for monetary damages shall be eliminated to the fullest extent under applicable law. If the DGCL is amended to authorize corporate action further eliminating or limiting the personal liability of directors, then the liability of a director of the Corporation shall be eliminated to the fullest extent permitted by the DGCL, as so amended.
B. Any repeal or modification of this Article VI shall be prospective and shall not affect the rights under this Article VI in effect at the time of the alleged occurrence of any act or omission to act giving rise to liability or indemnification.
A. The Corporation reserves the right to amend, alter, change or repeal any provision contained in this Certificate of Incorporation, in the manner now or hereafter prescribed by statute, except as provided in Paragraph B. of this Article VII, and all rights conferred upon the stockholders herein are granted subject to this reservation.
B. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Certificate of Incorporation or any provision of law which might otherwise permit a lesser vote or no vote, but in addition to any affirmative vote of the holders of any particular class or series of the Corporation required by law or by this Certificate of Incorporation or any certificate of designation filed with respect to a series of Preferred Stock, the affirmative vote of the holders of at least 66 2/3% of the voting power of all of the then-outstanding shares of capital stock of the Corporation entitled to vote generally in the election of directors, voting together as a single class, shall be required to alter, amend or repeal Articles V, VI, and VII.
FOUR: This Certificate of Incorporation has been duly approved by the Board of Directors of the Corporation.
Certificate of Incorporation was approved by the outstanding shares of this
Corporation in accordance with Section 228, 242 and 245 of the General
Corporation Law of the State of
In Witness Whereof, Cypress Bioscience, Inc. has caused this Second Amended and Restated Certificate to be signed by its Chief Executive Officer this day of , 2003.
CYPRESS BIOSCIENCE, INC.
Jay D. Kranzler
Chief Executive Officer